Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto & Cherries


You most likely know Paul Stanley, if you know him at all, from his starring role in The Phantom of the Opera on the Toronto stage for six months in 1999. You might also have heard of his rock band KISS, but they are pretty obscure.

However you know of Paul Stanley, you probably don’t know him as a cook. But in recent years he took up cooking as a hobby, and has turned into quite the chef.

I recently made a Brussels Sprouts dish that he created, and it was amazing, and pretty easy. Here’s a step-by-step of how I did it.

Steamed Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto


Ingredients:
Brussels sprouts (about a pound is good)
Prosciutto (I used 8 ounces from the deli section)
Dried cherries (about half a bag)
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Shredded Parmesan cheese

First, get fresh Brussels Sprouts if you can, not frozen. Cut off the stem ends and split them in half. (How many sprouts? Paul advises “a good amount,” and reminds us, “I don’t measure.” I used all of a one-pound bag of fresh sprouts.)

Steam the sprouts for about 10-12 minutes; meanwhile, cut the prosciutto into half-inch pieces and cook in olive oil in a skillet until they soften a bit. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.

In the same pan, cook the steamed sprouts and cherries together for a few minutes, until the cherries are softened.

Return the prosciutto to the pan and mix everything well.

Then coat the ingredients with balsamic vinegar and top with good quality shredded Parmesan cheese.


(I added a few sliced radishes because they were on hand, but they’re not an official part of the recipe; then again, improvisation and creativity are what rock and roll is all about.)


About the  Balsamic vinegar, Paul says,  

Then get a high quality aged balsamic vinegar — I like thick ones, not cheap average store bought — the thicker it is, the more concentrated and sweeter. Add enough to the pan to coat all ingredients. Don't be shy.” 

However, an inexpensive store-bought brand is what I used, and it was just fine.

Ideally, you should top it all with lemon zest, but I had no lemon so I skipped that. I think it would definitely have been good, but all was fine without it. 


The dish lives up to the claim that even people who think they don’t like Brussels Sprouts will like it - I was one of those people. The sprouts are hefty enough to give it a formidable presence, while the interplay of flavors provides a certain controlled chaos in the mouth. It’s savory, sweet, very slightly bitter and tangy, all at once.

Now that you've seen my pictures, watch the maestro at work:


The total time to make it was about 25 minutes, and no part of it was difficult. This would be a great side for a wide range of entrees, or even a main course now and then. Give it a try. It will make you want to rock and roll all night.










 

15 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I just got a new balsamic and can't wait to try it with this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Balsamic Brussels Sprouts look fantastic! Hope you have a very special Mothers Day weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried brussel sprouts... these look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a huge fan of brussel sprouts, but I sure do love balsamic, so I'll have to give these a shot! Thank you for sharing with Friday Favorites, we love having you join us :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing recipe, I love brussel sprouts too. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique recipe, I must say it sounds quite tasty. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted. Have a healthy happy blessed Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! Pinning it for later, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for linking up with Waiting on...Wednesday! Hope to see you back this Wednesday!

    Holly
    www.iwillservewhileiwait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious Micheal and am a big fan of Brussels sprouts!
    Thanks for sharing it at the Say G'day party where people can link up to three!
    Hope to see you next week at the party! Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know Paul Stanley was into cooking! What a great way to serve Brussels Sprouts! I am a huge fan of balsamic vinegar in cooking - it really does add something special to so many things. Love the contrast of the sprouts with the sweet balsamic and cherries. Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinned and will tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Brussels Sprouts, this preparation sounds delicious with the prosciutto and cherries! I would love for you to come share this, and any of your other posts at What'd You Do This Weekend? The party is open now at http://joylovefood.com/whatd-you-do-this-weekend-16/ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday!

      Delete
  12. These sound and look amazing. I love Brussels sprouts too. They're one of my favourite vegetables.

    Thanks for sharing and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop.

    Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, who knew he could cook? lol! Can't wait to try this. I have radishes in the garden so I'll throw in a few as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not like brussel sprouts at all.... but these look tasty! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete